Show your relevant skills and qualifications for the job
Use this guide to create a professional and compelling resume for job applications.
Your resume is one of the most important tools for applying for jobs
A resume gives you the opportunity to show prospective employers that you have the right skills, qualifications and experience to meet the job and organisation’s requirements.
Taking the time to write a detailed summary of your work experience, education and skills gives the potential employer the information they need to proceed to the interview stage.
Use these tips as a guide when putting together your resume:
- Ensure your name and personal details are on each page.
- Include a header or footer to ensure your resume is easily identifiable from others. Also include page numbers.
- Keep it concise and to the point.
- Format your resume in a simple format using basic fonts and layout.
- Keep paragraphs short, use dot points and headings.
- Outline your skills and accomplishments.
- List your formal qualifications, relevant professional development, volunteer work, and skills and abilities.
- Check your resume for spelling and grammar errors.
- Get someone else to check over your resume.
- Contact your referees. Check they are happy to be your referee and let them know about the roles you are applying for.
- Keep your resume between 1-4 pages. This may differ depending on the nature of the position you are applying for.
For further tips and examples of resumes, visit the websites below:
Jobs and Skills WA Job Jumpstart
Discover more free tips and resources to help with your job applications:
Selection Criteria Cover Letters More Resources
You might also be interested in some of the following services offered at CatholicCare Victoria: