Extending a hand of support
Our Prison Chaplains visit men and women in every prison and correctional centre in Victoria, offering emotional, spiritual and sacramental support.
Prison Ministry supports everyone regardless of faith or religious background, and can also provide support to prisoners’ family members and/or significant people in their lives.
Access Support Now
Compassion and support for residents
Our Prison Chaplains listen, connect, and endeavour to understand and comfort people who may otherwise feel lost or abandoned.
Our ministry seeks to promote the development and understanding of Restorative Justice, which focuses on rehabilitation of offenders through reconciliation with victims and the community at large.
Prison Chaplains can provide a range of supports including:
- personal visits to maximum, medium and minimum security prisons, as well as to people in solitary confinement
- confidential, compassionate, non-judgemental listening
- having someone to pray with you
- spiritual readings and symbols of the Catholic faith, such as crosses, bibles and rosary beads
- a weekly Catholic Mass and a weekly prayer service
- connecting you to other supports and services
- helping you through grief and difficult times
- help to adjust to new surroundings
Within the prison system and across the broader community, Prison Chaplains advocate for alternatives to incarceration. Chaplaincy can also contribute to prisoners’ readiness to return to society.
Our Prison Chaplains work as part of an interfaith network, working alongside chaplains from many other faith groups.
How do I access this service?
Residents within prisons and correctional centres throughout Victoria can access Prison Ministry.
Prison staff can also make referrals into this service.
There is no charge to access this service.
Prison Ministry is subsidised by the Victorian State Government of Justice and Community Safety, and by GEO Group Ravenhall Prison.
Client Rights and Responsibilities
Prison Ministry is managed from our East Melbourne office.
To enquire about this service, please contact us:
T (03) 9287 5555
You might also be interested in some of the following services offered at CatholicCare Victoria: